Thank you for your query

We will respond to you shortly

Thank you for subscribing to our Newsletter.

Please fill in the form belowX

read all about it

Travelling to the EU post Brexit

Departing from
Departure month

From January 1, 2021, the transition period will finish which will result in changes to the way we travel to Europe, from passports to health cover to driving in Europe, below we give you a quick checklist.

Passports after Brexit

You do not necessarily need to renew your Passport, a UK passport is valid for travel to Europe if:


It has six months left before expiry on the date of travel

It was issued less than 10 years before the date of travel


The new rules do not apply when travelling to Ireland.

Take out appropriate travel insurance with health cover before travelling to the EU

If you enter the EU on or after 1 January 2021 the E111/EHIC EU Health card will not be valid and you will need to purchase Travel Insurance with good health cover.  If you were already in the EU on 1 January 2021, technically, you should still be covered.

Mobile Phone Roaming Charges

Pre-Brexit Mobile phone companies were not allowed to levy roaming charges for mobile use in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein


Before travelling you should check if your provider has decided to reimpose roaming charges as the cost could be significant.   Currently, most major providers have said they will not reintroduce roaming charges but please do recheck before travelling.

Driving in the EU after Brexit

The regulations for driving in the EU after Brexit are still a little sketchy but are likely to involve carrying/having:


An International Driving Permit – these are available over the counter at Post Office’s and cost £5.50 for the most common version of an IDP and £11.50 for both versions used in the EU.

The Post office has a useful link to check the correct IDP per Country of travel - Click Here

Green Card: Green cards are international certificates of insurance ensuring third party cover in the countries they are driving in/through.  The Association of British Insurers is recommending carrying a physical copy and also advises you to contact your insurance company at least a month in advance.  Interestingly the certificate is supposed to be printed on Green paper.



GB Sticker – Post-Brexit a GB sticker is required to be displayed for all EU countries including the Republic of Ireland.

Get our latest news and offers delivered right to your inbox
call now 0203 011 1520