Swap wet weather for glorious sunshine with this 3-night mini-break to Sicily, a welcome breather from the 9 to 5 grind. Visit cathedrals and palaces, sample delicious wines and enjoy a luxurious 4* hotel stay!
Sicily is the largest island in the Mediterranean and quite possibly the most stunning too. A small leap from the “toe” of Italy’s “boot”, this culturally diverse land of time-worn ruins, Doric-style Greek temples and glorious Byzantine mosaics is home to the smoldering, brooding peak of Mount Etna, the world’s most active volcano.
But don’t let moody Mount Etna put you off. Although adding a touch of drama to Sicily’s picture-perfect, rolling landscapes, this fiery volcano is just one of the many must-sees splendid Sicily has to offer.
This whirlwind mini break will take you to the Sicilian capital of Palermo. As the island’s main industrial and commercial centre, Palermo is a sparkling, historic haven for culture vultures. Palaces, cathedrals and other vestiges of the past lurk around every corner.
Scale Monte Pellegrino, a hill which is 606 metres high and boasts panoramic vistas of picturesque Palermo, before making your way to the Santuario Santa Rosalia. This beautiful church is dug into the mountain cliff at Monte Pellegrino’s peak and oozes history dating all the way back to the 17th century.
And if there’s one thing Italy is renowned for, it’s the wining and dining. And where better to sample it than in Palermo’s street markets? Stalls are filled with good food piled high and wine which just keeps flowing.
Our tour also includes a sumptuous dinner at a traditional Sicilian restaurant so get ready to scoff delights such as ‘arancini’ or ‘pane con milza’ and slurp local vini like a true Italian – you’re on holiday after all!
During this Sicilian mini-break, your abode will be the Hotel Federico II Central Palace, a heavenly 4* establishment where pampering is priority. Conveniently located in Palermo’s city centre, the hotel offers the perfect springboard for getting to know the sights and delights of Palermo effortlessly.
Wining and dining in the heart of picture-perfect Palermo
- Return flight from UK
- A wonderful 3 nights’ stay at the 4 Star Hotel Federico II Central Palace
- Breakfast included throughout your trip
- Private return transfers from Palermo Airport to the hotel
- A sumptuous dinner at a restaurant in Palermo consisting of a set menu of 3 dishes (drinks not included)
- Multilingual tour guides on hand to help when needed
- Walking food tour of Palermo’s historic centre (3 hours approx.)
- Sample sensational street food specialties
- An excursion to Monte Pellegrino and the Sanctuario Santa Rosalia (3 hours approx.)
3 days of Sicilian cuisine, velvety wines and interesting tours
- Pamper yourself at the dazzling 4* Hotel Federico, opulent and unforgettable
- See the sights and delights of pretty Palermo during a walking tour to Vucciria Market and the Sanctuary of Santa Rosalia
- Sample local Sicilian cuisine during a sensational tour of Palermo’s street markets
- Visit the mysterious Catacombs of the Capuchins, home to the mummy Rosalia Lombardo
- Enjoy a delicious daily breakfast at your 4* hotel
Fusion of classic and innovative design style, Hotel Federico II Central Palace is located near the city’s most important streets of culture, tourism and shopping as well as business. It is the ideal place whether you are staying for business or if you want to enjoy a relaxing holiday period in Palermo.
Offering accommodation in the 5-story building, the hotel combines an antique architecture and modern facilities. A safe deposit box, a car park and a hairdresser are available for guests' convenience. Each luxurious room is equipped with a laptop-size safe, a work desk and IDD telephone. These rooms have refined furnishings as well.
The spa and wellness centre features a sauna, Turkish bath with aromatherapy and a relaxation area. Massages are available on request.
A generous buffet breakfast is served daily. Featuring a roof garden, the Aromi Restaurant features a selection of Sicilian wines and serves traditional Italian and Mediterranean cuisine.
Day 1 PALERMO & SPECIAL DINNER
Welcome to Palermo Airport! You’ll take a private transfer to your selected hotel, after which you’ll enjoy a lovely dinner at a typical Sicilian restaurant – an authentic culinary experience which will propel you into Sicily’s world of cuisine immediately!
OVERNIGHT IN PALERMO
Day 2 PALERMO WALKING TOUR
Enjoy a sensational food and wine walking tour through Palermo’s historic centre. Palermo is an ancient city founded by the Phoenicians in the 7th century BC. The city, which has seen the likes of the Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Vandals and Byzantines take up residence there, is bursting with ancient recipes which have been passed down through generations. In ancient times, vegetables and boiled entrails were sold on streets and the lively street market culture lives on today.
The walking tour kick-starts in Palermo’s historic centre (transfer not provided). One of the main stops on this tour will be the Vucciria Market, whose name comes from the word meaning ‘confusion’.
Meandering through the local markets, you’ll come across the bread and butter of Palermo’s culinary scene at the different stalls. Inhale the unique fragrances of spices and herbs and prepare to lose yourself in a labyrinth of flavours.
Some of the area’s most famous street food products include ‘pane con milza’, ‘sfincione’, ‘panelle’, ‘arancini’ and ‘croquettes’ – fortunately you’ll visit a few places which haven’t yet felt the effects of mass tourism.
By the end of the tour you should be able to say you know Palermo not just from an artistic and cultural point of view, but also through its wonderful flavours.
OVERNIGHT IN PALERMO
Day 3 SIGHTSEEING IN PALERMO – EXCURSIONS TO MONTE PELLEGRINO AND THE SANCTUARY OF SANTA ROSALIA
After departing from the hotel, prepare to explore the unconventional side of Palermo, starting with the Catacombs of the Capuchins which are home to the extraordinary mummy of Rosalia Lombardo – a young girl who was embalmed and preserved by a well-known doctor. Next, you’ll discover Monte Pellegrino and be rewarded with superlative views of Palermo before visiting the caves where the bones of Santa Rosalia (Palermo’s patron) are located.
OVERNIGHT IN PALERMO
Day 4 DEPARTURE
Today you’ll check out and proceed to Palermo Airport via private transfer – we hope you’ve enjoyed your stay!
END OF TOUR
- Our endeavor will always be to confirm the hotels listed in the package chosen, however in rarest of cases where we are not able to confirm certain hotel(s), like for like alternatives will be provided.
- We recommend that you buy a travel Insurance as any costs incurred due to mishaps, strikes, political unrest etc. are not included and will be passenger’s responsibility.
- Accommodation will be on twin sharing basis unless otherwise stated.
- In case Hotel Federico II Central Palace is not available, we will offer you Hotel Palazzo Sitano or similar as an alternate.
- The package is non-refundable for any inclusion items not used/taken.
- Anything not included in the package will be charged separately.
- Please note city local taxes apply, this cannot be prepaid.
- Tips, bar, laundry, telephone calls and other personal expenses not specified above.
- Early Check in / Late Check out.