Release your inner history buff during this whirlwind 4-night tour of Carcassonne and Girona. Wander the medieval fortress of the French city of Carcassonne and then step foot in Girona, one of Spain’s most splendid, historical destinations, where stunning architecture and medieval heritage reign!
Step back in time on this 4-night tour of picture-perfect Carcassonne and Girona, two architectural powerhouses of France and Spain. Prepare for sensational city walls which echo with the battles of the past, coupled with historic cathedrals and delicious regional specialties which will make your mouth water.
Carcassonne is a city where medieval meets modernistic, where the historical Cité de Carcassonne, over two and a half thousand years old, collides with the contemporary Ville Basse (Town Centre) and its myriad of charming hotels and sights. If you’re a history buff, prepare to go weak at the knees. Boasting over 3 km of walls with 52 towers, Carcassonne’s medieval fortress has rightfully earned its place on the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was the setting for some of “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves” and was also said to be Walt Disney’s source of inspiration for the castle in “Sleeping Beauty.”
Located in south-west France,the strategic position of Carcassonne as a link between the Atlantic and Mediterranean attracted a whole range of conquerors over the centuries, included the Romans and Visigoths, whose footprints remain in the form of mighty basilicas (like that of St-Nazaire) and thick, sturdy ramparts which make for some amazing landscapes.
Minutes can very easily turn into hours when exploring the labyrinthine alleyways of this magical kingdom. Spend some time gazing up at the Basilique St-Nazaire’s rose windows which tower above, revel in the thrilling medieval jousting displays held twice a day or take some time to unwind on a relaxing barge trip along the Canal du Midi. If you’re not too squeamish, take a trip to the Torture Museum and, afterwards, fill up on regional specialties such ascassoulet and foie gras (that’s if you’re left with any appetite!).
After a riveting two nights spent in the time capsule that is captivating Carcassonne, we’ll whisk you off to Girona, another age-old historical gem located in Catalonia, Spain. When you consider the beautifully time-worn architecture of its Old Town (picture elegant churches and ornate cathedrals)surrounded by bulbous city walls, it’s no wonder Girona repeatedly comes out on top in nationwide polls on preferred city to live in.
Like Carcassonne, Girona has had its fair share of visitors over the years. Its Jewish quarter flourished during the 12th century and is currently one of the best preserved in Europe. After wandering its narrow streets and glimpsing the goings-on of yesteryear, stroll along the walkway of the huge extension of Roman walls and reward yourself with wonderful views of the city.
Next, marvel at the ancient cathedral, once used by the Moors as a mosque and currently considered the crème de la crème of Catalan Gothic architecture. Climb the eighty six steps necessary to reach the entrance and feast your eyes on the widest pointed stone vault in Christendom. You might even recognise some of the landscapes from a Game of Thrones episode.
Prepare for stunning architecture and medieval remnants during this exhilarating visit!
- Flight from UK to Carcassonne
- An exciting 2 nights stay at the 4 Star Hotel du Pont Vieux in Carcassonne
- 1st class train ride from Carcassonne to Girona
- A thrilling 2 nights spent at the 4 Star Hotel Gran Ultonia in Girona
- Flight from Girona to UK
A historic adventure to medieval France and Spain!
- Enjoy luxury 4 Star accommodation to accompany a whirlwind visit of two historic cities
- Stand in awe at the medieval fortress of Carcassonne, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Get up close and personal to the beauty of Basilique St-Nazaire
- Watch exciting medieval jousting displays and brush up on your history
- Fill up on Carcassonne specialties such as cassoulet and Foie Gras
- Meander through the narrow cobbled streets of Girona’s Jewish quarter
- Stroll along the ancient walls and feast your eyes upon breath-taking city views
- Soak up the history which runs through the core of Girona’s impressive, ancient cathedral
When you stay at Hôtel Du Pont Vieux in Carcassonne, you'll be in the historical district and minutes from Carcassone Castle and Medieval City. This hotel is within close proximity of Aude Gate and Narbonnaise Gate. Ideally located at the foot of the fortified town at Carcassonne, in an 18th-century building, this hotel offers rooms overlooking the castle towers or the hotel’s garden.
Make yourself at home in one of the 19 air-conditioned rooms featuring LED televisions. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and digital programming is available for your entertainment. Conveniences include phones and desks, and housekeeping is provided daily.
The staff at the Pont Vieux are available 24-hours a day to help you organise your stay in Carcassonne. On sunny days you can enjoy your continental breakfast amongst the flowers on the outdoor terrace.
Hotel Gran Ultonia is situated just 500 m from Girona Cathedral and the historic Barri Vell district.
The stylish, functional rooms at the Gran Ultonia feature soft lighting and hardwood floors. They all have a minibar, a safe and an elegant, modern bathroom with a hairdryer and toiletries.
Take in the views from a rooftop terrace and make use of amenities such as complimentary wireless Internet access and tour/ticket assistance.
Satisfy your appetite at the hotel's restaurant, which serves lunch and dinner. Dining is also available at a coffee shop/café, and room service (during limited hours) is provided. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge. Gran Ultonia Hotel is 200 m from Plaça Independencia, where many popular bars and restaurants can be found.
- We recommend that you buy a travel Insurance as any costs incurred due to mishaps, strikes, political unrest etc. are not included and will be passenger’s responsibility.
- Accommodation will be on twin sharing basis unless otherwise stated.
- The package is non-refundable for any inclusion items not used/taken.
- Anything not included in the package will be charged separately.
- Please note city local taxes apply, this cannot be prepaid.
- Tips, bar, laundry, telephone calls and other personal expenses not specified above.
- Early Check in / Late Check out.