Keen to see the sights of China but short on time? We’ve got you covered. This week-long tour of Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai will allow you to see la crème de la crème of this fantastic East Asian country, including the mighty Great Wall, the historic Terracotta Army sculptures and the iconic Forbidden City!
China, though a land of bustling cities and quirky customs and traditions, isn’t your typical holiday destination. Discover the very best of China, with a spectacular nine-day tour of some of the country’s biggest and most exciting cities.
China has 14,000 km of coastline and the third largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the world, some of which sit in the sparkling capital of Beijing. As the former seat of the Ming and Qing dynasties, Beijing boasts all manner of opulent palaces, gardens and glittering religious structures lurking around every corner with parts of the Great Wall sinking like mammoth historical roots into the city’s past.
Wander the Forbidden City, stroll through the picturesque grounds of the Summer Palace and visit the section of the Great Wall at Mutianyu, an impressive spectacle which will have you reaching for your camera right away. Then, take an exhilarating rickshaw ride through Beijing’s spaghetti-like backstreets.
After exhausting Beijing’s must-sees, we’ll make our way to Xi’an in the North West, the oldest of the Four Great Ancient Capitals and the starting point for the Silk Road. Here, you’ll find the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda, an exquisitely ornate tower some 1000 years old and the famous Terracotta Warriors and Horses buried as part of Emperor Qin Shihuang’s tomb.
Afterwards, we’ll venture to Shanghai, the “showpiece” of mainland China’s booming economy. Sitting on the East China coast, Shanghai not only boasts stunning skyscraper-studded landscapes but also pearlescent beaches too. The beautiful Jinshan City Beach combines great scenery, points of interest and entertainment all in one strip. Think golden sand and blue water as far as the eye can see…
Take a glimpse into the past at the Yuyuan Gardens, brimming with classical Chinese architecture and chirping vendors and scale the Oriental Pearl Tower, a bulbous structure bulging against the Shanghai skyline. Or discover the Zhu Jia Jiao Water Town, a classic water village some 400 years old harbouring a maze of labyrinthine paths and two exquisite temples.
A delightful concoction of mind-blowing excursions around three of China’s cultural powerhouses
- Return flight from the UK
- A spectacular 3 nights’ accommodation in Beijing
- A wonderful 2 nights’ stay in Xi’an
- A fabulous 3 nights spent in Shanghai
- Excursion to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China
- Enter the stunning Summer Palace, a vast ensemble of lakes and gardens in Beijing
- Visit Beijing’s Temple of Heaven, an imperial complex of religious buildings
- Wander Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City in central Beijing
- Rickshaw ride through the extensive Beijing hutongs
- Breakfast included throughout your trip
- Discover the Terracotta Army sculptures, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit Xi’an’s Big Wild Goose Pagoda and the Great Mosque
- Enjoy a thorough city tour of Shanghai, including visit to the Jade Buddha Temple
- Wander Shanghai’s Yuyuan botanical Garden and climb the Oriental Pearl TV Tower
- Entry and shuttle bus to The Great Wall
- High-speed train journey from Beijing to Xi’an
- High-speed train journey from Xi’an to Shanghai
- Flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong
- A spectacular 3 nights accommodation in Hotel Harbour Plaza North Point
- Enjoy delicious breakfast
- Hassle free return airport transfer
Fall in love with Shanghai, Beijing and Xi’an on this week-long holiday to China!
- Marvel at the jaw-dropping Mutianyu section of China’s Great Wall, one of its best-preserved parts
- Get up close to the famous Terracotta Army sculptures in Xi’an
- Meander through Beijing’s stunning Summer Palace for a breath of fresh air
- Visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi’an, a magnificent World Heritage Site
- See the sights of Shanghai during a city sightseeing tour to rival all others
- Scale the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, one of Shanghai’s distinct landmarks
- Explore the labyrinthine Beijing hutongs during a rip-roaring rickshaw ride
A hidden gem nestled in the historical Hutong area in central Bejing, the shadow art themed Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel could be a peaceful retreat away from the bustling urban life. Traditional cultural acitives can be experienced here, including shadow art painting classes, calligraphy practising and dumpling making. Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel is a 5-minute walk from the scenic Houhai area, renowned for its restaurants, bars, and cafés.
Featuring modern Chinese design elements, minimalist rooms feature a flat-screen cable TV and safe. Private bathrooms have a hairdryer and shower facilities.
You may sense the charm of shadow art here or the tour desk can help guests organise rickshaw and boat tours in Shichahai Lake area.
Infusing delicacies cannot be missed at the courtyard with impressive shadow art shows. Free drinks are available at the lobby. Guests can also enjoy simple breakfast on site.
The boutique Xi'An Eastern House Boutique Hotel is a decent example of a 4-star hotel in Xi'an. Major Xi'an sights, such as Drum Tower and Bell Tower are located nearby. Guests will find Xi'an city center within a 10-minute walk from the property.
Eastern House Boutique Hotel offers oriental-style guestrooms in Xi'an downtown, around a 5-minute walk from Xi'an City Wall. . A flat-screen TV with satellite channels are available. Some units have a computer and views of the garden or city. The rooms come with a private bathroom.
There is a 24-hour front desk at the property where luggage storage, newspapers and concierge service is possible. Guests can work out at the on-site fitness centre. Well-fitted meeting and banquet facilities are offered for needs.
Local delicacies can be found at the a la carte restaurant. There is a bar street and a supermarket nearby.
SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund is located in the bustling core area of Huangpu District. It is just a five-minute walks away from Yuyuan Garden and Huaihai Road.
All air-conditioned guest rooms come with free drinks from the minibar, coffee and tea facilities, an in-room safe and flat-screen cable TV. To ensure the sleep quality of guests, all rooms are equipped with a black-out curtain and branded mattresses.
The hotel lobby offers complimentary Italian coffee and tea. Chinese and English books are free to borrow from hotel's library. On warm days, guests can enjoy their breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner on the outdoor patio with stunning skyline views. There is also a fitness centre and children's playground.
Day 1 ARRIVAL IN BEIJING
Welcome to Beijing! You’ll be escorted to the Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel Beijing (or similar) where you’ll stay overnight.
OVERNIGHT IN BEIJING
Day 2 BEIJING CITY TOUR
You’ll be whisked off on a city tour and visit the Temple of Heaven, an imperial complex of religious buildings situated in Central Beijing which was once visited by the Emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties. Then, head to Tiananmen Square, a city square in Beijing’s centre, and the Forbidden City, the former Chinese imperial palace during the Ming and Qing dynasties (closed on Mondays). You’ll also enjoy a rickshaw ride in the Beijing hutongs (entrance tickets and rickshaw fee included).
OVERNIGHT IN BEIJING
Day 3 BEIJING
Enjoy excursions to Mutianyu Great Wall and the Summer Palace, a vast ensemble of lakes, gardens and palaces (includes entrance ticket and shuttle bus to the Great Wall but excludes cable car tickets for Great Wall).
OVERNIGHT IN BEIJING
Day 4 BEIJING – XI’AN
Today you will take a high-speed train from Beijing west to Xi’an and check into your hotel.
OVERNIGHT IN XI’AN
Day 5 XI’AN
Get ready for excursions to the Terracotta Army, Big Wild Goose Pagoda and the Great Mosque (includes entrance ticket). The Big Wild Goose Pagoda is an impressive Buddhist pagoda built during the Tang dynasty and the Great Mosque is China’s largest mosque covering 12,000 square metres.
OVERNIGHT IN XI’AN
Day 6 XI’AN - SHANGHAI
Today you will leave for Shanghai on board a high speed train, we have included 1st class seating – a must-have for this 7.5 hour journey!
OVERNIGHT IN SHANGHAI
Day 7 SHANGHAI CITY TOUR
Visit the Jade Buddha Temple, the Yuyuan Garden and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower (includes entrance ticket to the second ball). The Jade Buddha Temple is an exquisite Buddhist Temple and the Yuyuan Garden is an extensive Chinese garden located beside the City God Temple. Meanwhile, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower is a whopping structure and distinct landmark in Shanghai’s skyline.
OVERNIGHT IN SHANGHAI
Day 8 SHANGHAI
Enjoy a delicious breakfast and spend the rest of the day at leisure, allowing you some more time to get to know Shanghai or take an optional tour to Tongli and Jinze water towns, including a boat ride in each town costs £130 pp.
OVERNIGHT IN SHANGHAI
Day 9 DEPARTURE
You’ll be taken to the airport to catch your flight home OR extend your trip by taking an optional extension to Hong Kong. We can also offer extensions to Guilin and Yangshuo or add on a Yangtze Cruise- please ask our staff for more details. We hope you’ve enjoyed your stay!
END OF TOUR
- Our endeavor will always be to confirm the hotels listed in the package chosen, however in rarest of cases where we are not able to confirm certain hotel(s), like for like alternatives will be provided.
- We recommend that you buy a travel Insurance as any costs incurred due to mishaps, strikes, political unrest etc. are not included and will be passenger’s responsibility.
- Accommodation will be on twin sharing basis unless otherwise stated.
- The package is non-refundable for any inclusion items not used/taken.
- Anything not included in the package will be charged separately.
- Tips, bar, laundry, telephone calls and other personal expenses not specified above.
- Early Check in / Late Check out.