The earliest settlements on the territory of Plovdiv are dated back to the VI millennium BC. There were several Prehistoric settlements on the territory of the modern city, but the oldest and most important one was located on a hill known as Nebet tepe. During the Hellenistic period the town began to spread towards the foot of the hills. At Nebet Hill there are found ruins of dwellings and fortifications dating from this period. The complex of Nebet tepe continued to play an important role as a part of the fortification system of the city until the XIV century. A notable finding of that later period is a water reservoir of 350 cubic meters.
Plovdiv is currently a candidate for the UNESCO World Herritage List with its perfectly-preserved Roman mosaics in 3 different locations - the Bishop's basilica, the Early-Christian Small Basilica and Ancient Residential Building 'Eyrene'. The Bishop's basilica is the biggest early-Christian temple found on the territory of Bulgaria. It impresses not only with its dimensions - 36 m of width and 90 m of lenght, but also with its unique architecture, including nearly 2000 sq. m. of mosaics in two layers. The earliest data for the temple are from IV-VI century. The temple was presumably amont the first early-Christian temples built after the Roman empire adopted Christianity as an official religion. The temple will be open for visitors in 2019. Diversity of beautiful Roman mosaics can also be explored in the Small Basilica and Ancient Residential Building 'Eyrene'.
Plovdiv is proud of having one of the most well-preserved ancient theatres in the World, which is also one of the biggest open-air stages on the Balkans. The Ancient theatre of Philippopol, which has been built in the 90s of I century, is one of the best-preserved ancient theatres in the World. Located in the saddle between Taksim and Dzhambaz Hills in the Old Town, it was one of the main public buildings in the ancient city. Apart from theatre performances, the theatre was a venue of gladiator and hunting games, with capacity of 6 000 spectators. Top events take place here during the summer season, such as the Opera Festival "Opera Open", the International Folklore Festival and the Rock Festival "Sounds of Ages".
The Roman Stadium was constructed in II century during the reign Emperor Hadrian, following the model of the Delphic Stadium. Its Southern part can be seen nowadays, located between Taksim Hill and Sahat Hill. The facility was approximately 240 meters long and 50 meters wide and could accommodate up to 30 000 spectators. The epigraphic and numismatic research of the artefacts discoverd there prove that games similar to the Pythian Games in Greece were held in the city. Alexandrian games were held here in 214 to honour the visit of the Roman emperor Caracalla and Kedrisian Games were carried out in 218 for the visit of emperor Elagabalus. The Roman Stadium was proclaimed a Culutral Site of National Value in 1995.
The Forum (Agora) of Philippopol was an administrative, commersial and religious center of the ancient city, a square where debates and various public meetings were taking place. It was situated on the foots of the three hills, in the central part of Philippopolis. With its area of 20 acres, it is the biggest forum complex in Bulgaria, which corresponds to the paramount importance of Philippopolis as a Metropolis of the Thracian province. Its ruins can be seen at the Central square on the Main Shopping Str., along with those of the Odeon of Philipoppol.
The Odeon of Philippopolis is situated at the North-East end of the Ancient Forum (Agora). The presence of a such a building in the central part of the Ancient city gives grounds to assuming the great importance of Philippopolis as a cultural and political centre. The building is supposed to have originally served as bouleuterion (town hall), but research on later periods of construction indicate it was also used as a theatre. According to the archaeological findings, the building has had four periods of construction between I and IV century AD. The researches and analyses show that the Odeon has all the elements typical for theatres: a skene, orchestra and cavea.
The basilica was built in the second half of V century AD and has diverse architectural decorations – marble colonnades separating the aisles, marble altar wall, pulpit and synthronos. There is variety of colorful mosaics with geometrical motives covering the whole floor . Two donor inscriptions were found during excavation works. One of them was carved on the lining marble slab from the altar of the basilica. The other was shaped in the mosaic of red tesserae on white background, just opposite to the altar apse. The name on it has been erased, but it probably refers to Basilisk, a Byzantine Emperor in 475-476 AD.
The peristyle building from the end of the III century is located in the heart of the Ancient Philippopol and used to cover an are of nearly 1 600 sq.m. The incredible floor mosaics in this residential building combine pictorial elements from both the Eastern and Western Roman provinces. It is popular as Eyrene because of the excavated mosaics, depicting an image of a woman with the same name. The renovated Southern part of the building is also a cultural center, a venue of concerts, book presentations and public discussions.
Romans have come to one of the most spectacular inventions in terms of water supply during the Antiquiy - the aqueducts. These were the most expensive public facilities built during the Roman period and such an investment was made in very few cities, including Philippopol. The Ancient Philippopol was supplied with fresh water from the Rhodopes. Two main water captations were found near the present-day villages of Kuklen and Markovo. The aqueduct of Philippopol was built in II – III century. It consists of the two major pipelines beating off the mountain springs at the foot of Rhodopes and joining near the Komatevo neighborhood. In II century Philippopol was already being supplied with 43 000 tons of water annually, which was being gathered on the foot of Taxim Hill. The Western Aqueduct was the most impressive and nowadays it is restored and presented to the public.
The Bishop’s Basilica is and one of the biggest and most significant Early-Christian temples in the Balkans. It was constructed at the end of V – beginning of VI century on an area of 700 sq. m. and its ruins can be found nowadays in front of St. Louis Cathedral. The basilica fascinates with its mosaics covering the floor and walls, including original images of ‘Heracles Knot’, ‘Spring of Life’, as well as various geometrical patterns and bird images, which never resemble one another neither by species, nor by position. A project for its restoration and full exposure is running at the moment and aims to transform the site and the surrounding area into a cultural complex. The Bishop’s Basilica will be a candidate for UNESCO World Heritage List after its complete restoration.
The ruins of the East Gate can be seen nowadays at the Northeast end of the Old Town. It was of great significance to the Ancient city, as two impotant roads were crossing it – the road to Byzantium, as well as the one to Danube. At that particular place, a gate already existed in the 2nd century AD. Nearby, there was an arch, at about 18 meters northeast of the gate. It is presumed that on both sides of the street there were military barracks, which formed an entire complex with the East Gate. They were built in the 4th century directly on the ruins of the fortifications.
Opera Open 09.06 - 13.09 International festival spectacularly staged at the Ancient thetre, one of the best preserved in the world. Hills of Rock 20.07 - 22.07 Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Anthrax and many more will rock Plovdiv for the 2018 edition of the large-scale music festival. Whispers /Murmures/ of Rhodope fairytales 27.07 - 05.08 A fairy-tale performance - journey from France to Bulgaria. #together for the Children 05.09 Annual event celebrating the selection of Plovdiv as European Capital of Culture, dedicated to children. Week of Contemporary Art 10.09 - 30.09 Annual exhibition at the Ancient Bath presenting Bulgarian and international contemporary artists. Mood for Food 14.09 - 16.09 United by the topic of food, this festival aims to provide an opportunity to enjoy wide variety of delicacies, participate in interactive events. One Dance Week 21.09 - 14.10 Contemporary dance festival with diverse performances from all around the world. Love Swing Dance Festival 27.09 - 30.09 Plovdiv is the new swing dance destination - fun days with expressive and dynamic events. Plovdiv Jazz Fest 31.10 - 03.11 Some of the most influential contemporary musicians come to Plovdiv for jazz-filled autumn evenings.
On September 14, 2018 at The Regional Archaeological Museum - Plovdiv and The Regional History Museum - Plovdiv a 5-hour seminar will take place with the topic "Internships and volunteers at the museum". The museum in the lives of urban communities; motivating factors for volunteering; and training of interns and volunteers for museum work will be some of the themes. On October 5, 2018 at The Regional Archaeological Museum - Plovdiv and The Regional History Museum - Plovdiv the last seminar will take place with the topic "Play and Creativity Museum". The lectures will be on games and interactivity in a museum context and - development, use and evaluation of educational games in the museum.
The gate exists in its pesent-day appearance since XI century. However, below the level of the street pavement there have been found foundations from the Roman period (probably from the 2nd century AD). It served as a crypt for many years. The gate is part of the ensemble, which includes the outdoor quadrangular tower under the altar of St. Konstantin and Elena Church.
The house was built in the early XIX century by the merchant Hadzhi Panayot Lampsha. It has had three owners, bu nowadays it bears the name of the last one - the tradesman Luka Balabanov. The houses’s dimensions are impressive with its 546 m² of built area. At present, a permanent exhibition of modern Bulgarian art takes place on the ground floor. The second floor, once having served for a guest hall, features the typical interior of the Revival period. The house serves as a venue of various cultural events – exhibitions, literature premieres, chamber music concerts, theatre performances, meetings, etc. The International Chamber Music Festiva l- Balabanov's House Music Days takes place here annually.
Stepan Hindliyan’s house is one of the few houses in Plovdiv representing the the symmetric design of a typical Revival house. The owner of the house was a merchant and representative of one of the four wealthiest families of Armenian origin in Plovdiv. The walls on the second floor of the house impress with paintings of landscapes from Constantinople, Venice, Alexandria, Stokholm and other cities, all painted by memory. A mirror image of the house can be seen above the door of the storage room in the yard, which serves both as decoration and a blueprint of the house. Many of the cultural events take place in the house every year.
The church St. St. Konstantin and Elena is one of the oldest Christian temples Plovdiv, located right on the wall of the Acropolis in the Old Town. In 304, at the place where the church is located today, 38 martyrs of Plovdiv became victims of persecutions against Christians. According to archaeological researches, the very first Christian temple in the city was built in honor of two the beheaded holy martyrs – the Thracians Severin and Memnos. In the ‘60s of XIX century, a beautiful 13-meter-high bell tower was built, with five floors and two bells. Next to the church, there used to be a parish school, which nowadays operates as an Icon gallery.
The doctor and public official from the National Revival period Dr. Stoyan Chomakov was one of the most active fighters for autonomous Bulgarian Church before the Liberation from Ottoman domination in 1878. The Chomakov's House, built in 1862-1865, is his 'testament' to the future generations of Plovdiv. In terms of its architecture, the Neocalssical style popular at that time, was abandoned. Since 1984 this house has hosted the biggest collection of 72 paintings by the famous Bulgarian artist Zlatyu Boyadzhiev (1903-1976), representing the two periods of his professional life.
The Street of Crafts is a crafts market where one can explore typical for the Revival period workshops, have a tea or coffee, purchase herbs from a traditional drug-store, observe works of skillful craftsmen created in front of their eyes. There can be observed workshops in: ceramics, pottery, bakery, felting, glass engraving and painting, weaving and blacksmithery. Every visitor is able to see, or make by themselves, and purchase a souvenir from Plovdiv.
The house of Nikola Nedkovich was built in 1863 and features the most exuberant exterior decoration in the Old Town. Nowadays, it is one of the very few houses that have preserved original artefacts belonging to the primary owners. The ground floor of the house impresses with its unique ceiling carvings which have been preserved in their original appearance without any restoration work. The upper floor is notable for the distinctive style of its decoration. Here the spirit of Western Europe endures a strong presence through a superb collection of period furniture. Nedkovich House is of the venues for hosting creative activities and initiatives in the Old Town.
The house was built in 1872 by Dr. Sotir Antoniadi, one of the first people with medical degree in Plovdiv. Nowadays, it features the Old pharmacy shop Hippocrates and the Museum of Pharmacy, which are unique for Bulgaria. Here you can have insight of the way medicine and pharmacy were practised during the Bulgarian Revival period, up to the beginning of the 20th century – a period when all the medications and pills used to be made of natural ingredients. A lot of tools and medical equipment, manufactured mainly in Vienna and Berlin, are displayed inside. The original book with recipes by the healer St. John of Rila still keeps the memory of the century-old art of making remedies.
The first temple to Saint Nedelya at that venue was built in the early XVII century and is one of the few churches built on this area. The majority of the icons were painted by Dimitar Hristov Zograph and his son Zafir, later known by the pseudonym Stanislav Dospevski. Frescoes from 1871 are preserved in the temple. They can be seen on the eastern wall of the altar and in medallions, located high between the arches of the columns. On the west wall under the balcony, on both sides of the entrance, there were found two mural panels depicting St. George and St. Dimitar /Demetrius/ in the typical iconography of horsemen warriors.
Veren Stambolyan’s house, built in the second half of XIX century, is a large two-storey symmetrical building, located on the Eastern slope of Dzhambaz Tepe. Years ago, it used to be a creative center of Union of Bulgarian Artists and Union of Plovdiv Artists. Since May 2010, a permanent exhibition dedicated to the work of the famous Plovdiv’s artist Dimitar Kirov /1935-2008/ has been arranged in the house. Kirov belonged to the generation of Plovdiv artists, who modernized the image of Bulgarian art in the 1960s.
The construction of this residential building started in the middle of the 18th c. It is an asymmetrical two-storey house, which has undergone several refurbishments in the 19th c., the most significant being that from 1817. Up to the present time 2/3 of its original substance have been preserved, for over time it had changed several owners. Of all the Revival period houses in Plovdiv, Klianti House is the oldest and features enthralling interior decoration and unique architecture. The covered yard on the ground level is impressive. The first floor today consists of three rooms and of a spacious hayet with many windows. At the level of the hayet, next to it, a median storage room is built with a height of 1.60 m. It is named himala (meaning "low" in Greek). The ornamentation and decoration on the walls in these two rooms is extremely rich and is matched with preserved wooden elements. The mural paintings are polychrome and include plant ornamentation, bouquets and vases with flowers. The wooden ceilings are adorned with different decorative ornaments, the enclosed wooden recesses (musandras) are painted with bouquets of roses and the doors are richly decorated. On both sides of the alafranga in one of the rooms, unique landscapes from Vienna and Constantinople and the year 1817 were treated and restored.
This is one of the many houses in the Old Town that used to belong to the famous house of Chalakovtsi during the Revival period. Valko and Stoyan Chalakovi were born in Koprivshtitsa, but their left their mark here, in Plovdiv. The churches St. Bogoroditsa and St, Nikolay, which are just next to the house, were built mostly on their donations, as well as the school 'St. St. Kiril and Metodiy'. The bigger brother - Valko, is donator of the Rila Monastery, and was responsible for the schools, churches and hospitals in Plovdiv. The house of Chalakovtsi was restored in 2012 by Assosiation 'Trakia' with the help of volunteers and artists from National School 'Tsanko Lavrenov'. The furniture which can be seen in the house is entirely from the Revival period.
The first records of a church, which was originally buit in honour of Virgin Mary, date back to IX – X century. In 1844 - 45, craftsmen from Bratzigovo constructed an entirely church - a three-nave pseudo-basilica with impressive dimensions. After Stoyan Chalakov took the position of churchwarde,the church was entirely reconstructed. The iconostasis was made by the Debar woodcarvers Andon Stanishev and Dimitar Stanishev in the Empire style and Nikola Odrinchanin created the icons. In 1875 Stanislav Dospevski painted the royal icon of Saint Mary with the Divine Infant by the iconostasis. The hurch was fully restored in 2000.
At this place in the beginning of XIX century there was a dilapidated late medieval church, dedicated to St. Dimitar of Solun the Thaumaturgus. Funds for the continuation of the construction were donated by wealthy Plovdiv citizens Ivan Politoglu, Valko and Stoyan Teodorovich Chalakovi, Stoyan Kurtovic Chalakov, Iskro Kesyakov, Todor Valkovich, and others. Anton Kamizopulos, merchant of Greek origin in Moscow, born in Plovdiv, donated valuable church-plates for the ordinance of the altar: Four Gospel, decorated with fittings, censers and vestments for the priests.Probably the temple was built by the famous master from Bratsigovo Stoyu Ivanov. Most impressive is the marble iconostasis, the only monument of its kind in our Revival art. It was created in 1860-1869, by Adrianople and local masons, led by Greek artist A. Calumen. The funds for the expensive and impressive iconostasis were donated by the prominent resident of the parish, Ivan G. Politoglu. The yard of the St. Dimitar temple is surrounded by high stone walls. In the western part there is the small chapel-holy spring, dedicated to the martyrs St. Kirik and Julita. In the north side of the narthex is the belfry, built in the ‘80s of XIX century by architect Joseph Shniter’s design. The single storey building of the sexton’s house fits snugly to the southern fence wall. Next to the chapel, built on the high retaining wall, is the old priest’s home.
Sveti Nikolay (St. Nicholas) Chapel is located on top of Taksim Tepe in Plovdiv, about 70-80 meters west of The Assumption church. It is assumed that it was built during the reign of Bulgarian ruler Ivan Alexander around 1355 and was Saint Nikolay even then. The current building of the chapel dates back to 1835, when it was built with funds donated by Valko Todorov Chalakov from Plovdiv, who lived very near the temple. St. Nicholas Chapel is a small, single nave basilica, with one apse and a size of 17.5m /9.80m/6m. It is built of unshaped stone. Only the east altar wall and the apse are from carved stone blocks. The iconostasis of the chapel is from the old demolished church and that is why it is the oldest iconostasis in Plovdiv. It dates back to 1733 and has an interesting and original old carving. Presumably, it was made by local craftsmen, who were influenced by the carving in the great church of Bachkovo Monastery. The church icons were painted by Renaissance painters Zahari Zograf and Dimitar Zograf. The royal icons of Jesus Christ, Virgin Mary, St. John the Baptist and St. Nicholas are the work of Zahari Zograf. There is a relatively small icon of St. Nicholas on the iconostasis, whose author was Hristo Dimitrov, Zahari Zograf’s father.
The Early-Revival ensemble of houses of Evdokia Bakalova and Kasandra Bayatova is situated in the northernmost part of Dr. Chomakov street and shapes the architectural framework of Nebet tepe hill. In 2012, a crafts center was arranged in the house by Plovdiv Regional Chamber of Crafts. In the studios, visitors can watch the process of making art fabrics, jewelry beads, art ceramics, products from belenitsa /corn leaves/ and embroidery with national patterns. The center is equipped a showroom for handicrafts.
Armenian Apostolic Church Surp Kevork Surp Kevork Church was originally an Eastern Orthodox Church, dedicated to St. George the Victorious. This is the only church with side compartments besides the central nave: one for women and another for men. Next to the church there was built a chapel. After several reconstructions the church got its present outlook. In front of the church and around it there is a large yard that surrounds the church complex in a rectangular shape. Part of it serves as a school yard from the time it was built in the first three decades of XIX century. The yard on the west side rests on a massive, high stone wall. In the past, the yard was intended for graveyard of prominent and wealthy Armenians from the community, as well as priests and prelates, who had died here. In the churchyard, on the empty spot between the church and the erstwhile Surp Hach church, there is a preserved marble sarcophagus with a rectangular shape.The church tower, probably constructed in the second half of XIX century, was semi-destroyed during the earthquake in 1928. The new tower was built on the same spot in the corner. In the courtyard, in front of Tadey and Parteniy chapel to the west side, near the west staircase, still stands a well, made to the order of a noble Armenian, in memory of his deceased son. The well was built on May 5, 1877. In the northern part of the churchyard is the former building of St. Vartanants – Varavaryan School, with an inscription in Armenian on elliptical marble plaque and the year of its construction in 1894.
After the Edict of Milan in 313 AD in the ancient city of Plovdiv were built an episcopal basilica and residence of the spiritual head of the diocese. The temple, existing in the time after this period, was built probably in V century and existed until the end of VI century when it was destroyed by Slavic invasions. According to studies of these researchers the temple was dedicated to St. Paul. In the middle of XVIII century the church was burned down again. Among the first donors in its recovery were Hadji Andon, Konstantin Mavrudioglu, Costa Atanasov and priest Yani. It was finally completed in 1783 during the time of the Plovdiv Metropolitan Kiril. In 1828 the construction of a new iconostasis for the temple, a pulpit and a canopy for the Holy See started. The woodcarvers who made this were representatives of the Debar carving school. The dome is with polyhedral shape. In the western part of the temple there is an open colonnade – narthex which was inscribed with biblical scenes by painter Nikita Odrinchanin in 1858. The total number of scenes are 29, 24 of which are from the Old Testament. When the construction of the new, bigger temple started, the earlier carved iconostasis was preserved. On the left of the royal doors of the iconostasis was an icon of Virgin Mary with the Divine Infant, and on the right – an icon of Christ the Savior, both painted by Stanislav Dospevski in 1868.Two old places for church singers have octagonal shape and are decorated with encrusted bones and wooden plates. Nowadays, St. Marina is the temple with the biggest number of bells. The church also stores a fraction of the holy relics of Saint Martyr Marina as a sanctuary.
The treasure consists of nine golden vessels with a total weight of 6.100 kg and was discovered in 1949 near Panagyurishte. The gold beverage set includes a phiale (a dish) and eight rhytons (cups) in the form of different zoomorphic and anthropomorphic figures. The treasure used to be in possession of an unknown Thracian ruler of the Odryssian tribe who reigned at the end of IV c. and the beginning of III c. B.C.
The Regional Archaeological Museum is one of the oldest cultural institutions in Bulgaria, founded in 1882. Seven temporary collections are exposed in the museum: Prehistoric Art, The Panagyurishte Gold Treasure (Thracian Art), Ancient Greek Art, Roman Art, Medieval Art, Bulgarian Revival Art and a Numismatic Collection. The Antiquity Department of the Museum displays more than 5,000 artefacts illustrating the Thracian-Roman Arts. Diverse collection of over 60,000 coins dated VI c. B. C. - XX c. A. D. can be seen in the museum's Numismatic Department.
The exposition of Unification of Bulgaria - 1885 has been arranged in the building of the Province assembly (the Parliament) of Eastern Rumelia, designed by the architect Pierre Montani. The museum exposition was opened in 1985 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Unification of Principality of Bulgaria and East Rumelia. It represents the period beginning with the Treaty of Berlin (1878), till the Serbo-Bulgarian War of 1885. Original items (personal belongings, award tokens, cold steel and firearms), photos and documents belonging to the participants in the Unification and the Serbo-Bulgarian War are displayed in five exhibition halls on area of 900 sq.m.
The Bulgarian National Revival Exposition is displayed in the House of Dimitar Georgiadi in the Old Town, which is a cultural monument of national importance. The house was built in 1848 on commission of the wealthy Bulgarian craftsman Georgi Kendindenoglou and represents the so-called Symmetric Revival house. The exposition traces back the history of Plovdiv in the period XV-XIX century on the area of ten halls and two salons of the house. The halls on the first floor display the ethnic diversity and economic development of Plovdiv during the Ottoman rule. On the second and third floor there is exposition representing the struggle for independent church and education.
The exposition of the Bulgarian book publishing took place in the house of the founder of the modern Bulgarian book publishing Hristo Gruev Danov in 1975. The house was erected in the mid-19th century and is a typical example of a symmetric house from the Revival period. The transition from the ceiling to walls is painted with alternating 12 medallions, four of them depicting Johann Gutenberg. The section of the exposition holds more than 5000 volumes of books, unique publications, geographic maps and school pictures and aids, items of everyday life, personal belongings and correspondence of Hristo Danov and his publisher’s house.
The building was originally an officers’ club, founded in 1895. In 1951 the building was turned into a Museum of the History of Capitalism, Working Class Movement and Socialist Construction. Nowadays it accommodates the Museum Centre of Modern History. The permanent exposition of the museum - The Soul of the Japanese Doll, represents the history of the Japanese traditional dolls. In the large, fully equipped hall there are also arranged art and photographic exhibitions, presentations, seminars and other public events.
Regional Ethnographic museum is the second largest specialized museum of this type in Bulgaria. The museum was established in 1917 and since 1938 it has been located in Kuyumdzhieva house - a cultural monument of national significance. The permanent exposition consists of more than 40, 000 items and presents Bulgarian crafts, agriculture, clothing, furniture, musical instruments, as well as a photo exhibition.
The museum displays a variety of expositions, including those of Minerals, Fishes, Mammals, Amphibians and Reptiles, Invertebrates, Birds and Plants. The biggest and the most diversified aquarium in the whole country with over 216 kinds of fish and octopi and a terrarium with living animal species can be explored. After recent reconstructions, the museum boasts with the first Digital Planetarium in Bulgaria with a capacity of 50 seats, which carries the visitors into the atmosphere of nature and the outer space. On September 7, 2017, a new tropic hall will be opened. There will be observed 15 living species of butterflies, as well as over 40 exotic plants.
The Tropical Hall of Regional Natural History Museum will open doors at 9:30 a.m. on September 18, 2017. Over 15 living species of tropical butterflies can be obersed in the new exposition hall, which will be decorated with over 40 exotic plants. The Tropical hall can be explored alongside the other expositions of the museum, such as the Aqarium, Terrarium and the Digital planetarium.
The exposition is housed in the building of the Young Girls’ College, designed and built in 1881, under the guidance of the architect Joseph Schnitter. The collection presents the most diverse artistic works from the early development of Bulgarian art, with over 200 original pieces of artwork. It is arranged chronologically on two floors. The works of our great Revival artists before and in the first years after the Liberation are displayed. At present the City Art Gallery of Plovdiv holds 7210 works, of which 2310 – paintings, 2549 – graphic works, 545 – sculptures and applied arts works, 574 – icons and 1234 – works of Mexican art.
The exhibition spaces are housed in a building with a typical urban architecture from the beginning of the 20th century. In the halls on both floors there are presented temporary exhibitions relating to the anniversaries of outstanding Bulgarian artists, as well as the historical events, as well as the cultural life of Bulgaria. Exhibitions by foreign artists, such as one’s by children, are also presented here.
On display are the best examples of icons wealth funds from the gallery's collection of Plovdiv Bishopric, representing the Eastern Christian art from the Plovdiv region and throughout South Bulgaria by the end of the fifteenth century to the late nineteenth century. Extremely valuable are eight icons from Nessebar - works of masters from the Post-Byzantine Cretan School. Seventeenth century is also presented with a number of icons from Rakitovo. The path of Bulgarian pilgrims who visited the holy places like Jerusalem, Sinai Monastery St. Catherine and the Holy Mountain Athon can be followed by the Eruslimii and the church plate presented. Thematic exhibitions are temporarily displayed, presenting various aspects of symbolic of the Christian art.
The Skobeleva house is a Revival house in Plovdiv, built in 1860 by Kostadin Kaftandzhiyata, a prominent Bulgarian from Stara Zagora. After the liberation the mother of gen. Mihail Skobelev, Olga Skobeleva (1823-1880), lived here until her death. She is known for her charity for helping the bulgarian victims of the Turkish rout in southern Bulgaria during the April Uprising and the Liberation War. At her place of death near Tsarigradsko shose Blvd. stands a memorial park. In 2003 in the Skobeleva house is arranged a constant exposition, devoted to the work of the famous Plovdiv artist Georgi Bozhilov - The Elephant (1935- 2001). On the northern side there could be seen a picturesque panel and a mosaic of another famous painter - Dimitar Kirov, which he dedicates to his friend. The turbot of the house from the side of Saborna Str. is decorated with memorial mural, a painting and a mosaic, designed by Dimitar Kirov, engraved in Georgi Bozhilov’s memory.
In his works Tsanko Lavrenov demonstrates a deep sincere devotion to the monuments of the Bulgarian Renaissance. His compositions with themes from Plovdiv and Veliko Tarnovo, with themes from old monasteries of the Holy Mountain of Athos, Rila and Rhodopes, indicate his desire to connect with the natural architectural forms in the name of their respectable historicity. Although almost all the characteristics of his art are typical for modernism and are not unknown to European art of that time, put together in his decorative graphic illustrations, they present a different approach to creativity.
Along with decorative monumental painting, Mexican graphic arts cause significant public interest with its thematic engagement, professional skill and advanced plastic solutions with direct impact on the audience. Since 1981 such visually diverse graphic collections have been presented in our country. The exposition consists of 1,300 drawings, donated to Bulgaria by the National Fund 13 Centuries Bulgaria. This is the first fully equipped art gallery outside of Mexico and a complete overview of modern Mexican graphic. Subsequently received copies of pre-Columbian pottery and replicas of musical instruments, artwork and crafts are also on display.
Encho Pironkov’s style is typified by strong expressive gesture with a sense of spontaneity and naturalness. It fragments pictorial space and fits in it figures holding ceremonial position. Dealing with these compositions is dramatically enhanced by the peculiar mystique of the message and the typical strong opposition to the cut-off in them. This art has evolved and been enriched contemporary plastic ideas and opinions, thus forming part of a new mythology in Bulgarian painting. The gallery displays 45 works donated by the artist, covering various periods of his creative development.
Trakart Research Center is a center for cultural tourism and researches on social interactions, providing international experience and opportunities for carrying out meetings, conferences and discussions. The expositions are arranged on 4 levels and trace the evolutional development of the former cultures - from palaeolithic fossils to contemporary artefacts. The expositions feature moveable artefacts gathered in two private collections - the one of Trakart-2000 Foundation, as well as the one of 'Videvi''. Trakart Research Center is part of a complex that also includes Cultural Center Trakart in the Archaeological Underpass, where the ruins of Ancient Residential Building 'Eirene' can be explored.
Union of Plovdiv aritst was established in 1990 with the purpose of promoting the works of its members. It is a successor of the Group of Plovdiv Artists and currently is integrating about 400 artists. Its members are occupied in the field of various visual arts: painting, graphics, sculptures, applied arts, alternative forms, currator projects. Union of Plovdiv Artists is the biggest artistic association not only in Plovdiv, bu generally outside the capital. The exhibition hall of 32, Gladton Str. is a venue of the Union's activities. For the last years there have taken place a number of important events, such as the Inernational workshop in painting, the International workshop in lithography, Symposiums in sculpture, International Art Collage Symposium and periodical exhiitions of artists from Southern Bulgaria.
The Museum of Aviation in the village of Krumovo was established in 1991. Since 2005 it has been a branch of the National Museum of Military History –Sofia. The indoor and outdoor expositions display collections of aircraft, aviation engines and equipment, photos, decorations, flags and others. There are two collections devoted to space flights, including the equipment of the first Bulgarian astronaut Georgi Ivanov, as well as photo material of taking off of Sojuz - TM-5 in 1988.
Plovdiv boasts with having one of the longest pedestrian streets in Europe. With its 1750 m. of length, the Main Street is not only a shopping paradise, but also an architectural phenomenon. Most of the houses here have been built in the early 20th century, their architecture representing the Classicism, Secession and Postmodernism. The Main Street loosely bounds the historical center of the city - the Old Town, and is tightly connected with Kapana District and the Tsar Simeon's Garden. Its location makes it perfect for romantic nightwalks or exploring the nightlife of the city. A number of events take place there, such as the Fair of Crafts, as well as a number of concerts and fairs.
The district emerged as a center for craftsmen 5 centuries ago. Nowadays, one will not find craftsmen here, but contemporary creative entrepreneurs. This project is also part of the artistic program of “Together” – the concept and motto Plovdiv won the European Capital of Culture 2019 with. You will find galleries, workshops, ateliers, studios, cozy restaurants and shops, as well as other art spaces, and there is even a vinyl shop! All these places fill Kapana with modern cultural content not only with their daily activities but also organizing events with social, economic and cultural effect for the city, such as concerts, exhibitions, festivals, forums, art installations, screenings, workshops and many more.
Danov Hill (Sahat Tepe) is located in the center of Plovdiv, west of the Main Street. In the first modern city plan, drawn by Joseph Schnitter, the hill was named the Hour Hill. Over time, there were numerous changes, the most serious of which was in 1812 (according to the Arabic inscription above the entrance). It is believed that in Roman times on the top of the hill there was a temple of Venus. Near the tower there is also a radio relay television station, built on January 18, 1956 (on July 1, 1960 it started airing radio broadcasts). Its altitude is 210 m.
The hill is located western from the city center and is the second highest in the city with its altitude of 234 m. Its old name – Bunardzhik, which is still in use, originates from the Ottoman word Bunar (a well), and refers to the small spring that flows down the hill. The hill bears its modern name -Liberators hill, from the two monuments on the top – the Monument of Russian Liberators, who set the city at liberty from Ottoman occupation on January 16, 1878, and the one of the Unknown Russian Soldier, popular as Alyosha. The Alley of Astronauts loosely bounds both monuments, the first pine-tree here having been planted by Yuri Gagarin himself back in 1961. On the foot of the hill, there are a number of sport facilities, as well as the Summer theatre, which is a popular venue of concerts.
The top of Dzhendem Tepe is the highest altitude of the city’s seven hills. The hill, which is located in the southwest part of the city, has the status of a national landmark with the aim of preservation the natural habitat of rare plant species, such as Bulgarian and Balkan relict endemic tutsan, Astragalus physocalux, Genista rumelica. The hill has been inhabited since 3 000 B.C., and some archaeological sites from the periods have been found, such as statue of Apollo from Late Antiquity and a three-nave basilica from early-Christian times. The children Railway is located on the foot of the Youth Hill. It was founded in 1979 and since then it has been a real attraction for the children and their parents, both citizens and visitors of Plovdiv. Thousands of kids from the region keep the memory of their very first travelling by train on the Youth Hill. The train, which consists of an engine and three carriages, starts its journey from the Peoneer Station, which has a platform, two lines, as well as traffic lights. The duration of the trip is about 25 minutes per direction. A number of cultural activities regularly take place on the foot of the hill.
Tsar Simeon’s Garden in Plovdiv is created in 1892 by the Swiss landscape architect Lucien Chevalas (1840-1921). Since the summer of 2015 the restored fountain of Goddess Demeter is brought for a new life, and a Viennese pavilion is built in the center of the park. In addition, new benches and modern children's playgrounds are installed. The trees and the flowers turn the park in a paradise garden. The pearl on the crown of the park is the renovated Lake with the Singing Fountains. You can enjoy the light show of the lake intertwined with water effects. The Fountain’s special dance – a spectacular show with music and light can be observed every Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 21:00 during the summer season.
Leisure and Culture Park is Plovdiv’s greenest area, located near the bank of Maritsa river and within a reach from the city center. Within its borders, there are a number of natural and cultural sites included, such as the Rosarium park, the biggest Rowing Canal on the Balkans, the Common Knoll, and Plovdiv Zoo, which is soon going to open its doors to visitors. The venue is also part of the city's retail area, located within a reach to big shopping centers, residence complexes, restaurants and hotels. The cycling trail network covering almost the whole city, starts from the site. Sport facilities are abundant in the area, including the biggest stadium in Bulgaria - Plovdiv stadium. A newly-constructed Youth Center opened doors last year and offers variety of youth activities.
The Rowing Canal (Regatta Venue) in the city of Plovdiv is a sports facility for rowing. This is the largest facility of this kind in the Balkans where rowing competitions can be held. The channel is 2 200 meters long, 120 meters wide and three meters deep. It is located adjacent to the Recreation and Culture Park. The spectators can enjoy the sports events from the renovated 800 seats grandstand. Other sports facilities are also located at the territory of the sports complex – tennis courts, a swimming pool, a Rope Garden Attraction. Recently, the place has become extremely attractive to both the citizens and the visitors of the city. Here you can enjoy a pleasant walk or rest. Restaurants located around the Rowing facilities appear to be tempting for those willing to taste traditional dishes while enjoying calm and peaceful atmosphere.
The Monument of Unification in Plovdiv was erected in 1985 on occasion the 100th anniversary of the Unification of Eastern Rumelia and the Principality of Bulgaria in 1885. Its sculptor is Velichko Minekov. This event is one of the most important in the historical development of Bulgaria. After the Russo-Turkish war for liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule, the Berlin Peace Treaty of 1878 divided Bulgaria into two independent parts (states). The northern half of the present-day territory was called Principality of Bulgaria (under the rule of a Prince) with capital Sofia, and the southern – Eastern Rumelia (under the control of a Governor, the first of whom was the prominent Bulgarian Aleko Bogoridi) with its capital Plovdiv. The Monument of Unification depicts the Mother Motherland with the laurel wreath of victory in her hands. The wings in flight symbolize the two united parts of Bulgaria. Every year on September 6th the historical event of the Unification is noted as an official holiday in Bulgaria and a Day of Plovdiv with a solemn ceremony in the square in front of the Monument.
Maritsa River is the largest river on the Balkan Peninsula and flows through the city of Plovdiv. The first prehistoric settlement within the borders of the modern city was adjacent to the river, the ancient name of which - Hebros, is now associated with legends for city’s first inhabitants. The riverbank was an area where traditions in wine production were established more than 5,000 years ago by Thracian tribes and never quit. Nowadays, one can find a number of cozy restaurants, cafeterias and open-air sports facilities along the riverbank. The pedestrian bridge at the end of the Main Shopping Street is part of the city's retail area.
In 1892, Plovdiv hosted the First Bulgarian Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition, which marked the beginning of the exhibition industry in Bulgaria. International Fair Plovdiv is the successor of the First Exhibition and its mission, i.e. to contribute to the prosperity of the Bulgarian people by encouraging the development of the national industry. The exhibition calendar of International Fair Plovdiv comprises multi-branch fairs and trade exhibitions covering key sectors of Bulgarian economy. The Fair is the organizer of the most important trade forums in the country, opening up prospects for the Bulgarian producers to emerge in the international market. The trade fair and exhibition events outline the performance of Bulgarian economy, as well as the interest of the international business in our country and region.
Since 2012 Plovdiv Municipality organizes International Meeting of Tourism in cooperation with Ministry of Tourism, private companies, local and national authorities. The forum emphasizes on variety aspects of the tourism development in the city and the region of Plovdiv, presenting the diversity of its tourist product. It introduces the opportunities for cultural, religious, weekend, wine, spa and other types of tourism. IMT Plovdiv gathers heads of local, regional and national tourism authorities, tourism professionals from all around the globe with immense experience within the field and representative of worldwide recognized media. In the present year of 2018 the 10th anniversary edition of the meeting is coming, having the ambition to consolidate the position of Plovdiv between some of the most preferable tourism destinations on world level and to emphasize its role/development as the future EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE in 2019.
Opera Open is a big opera festival that annually takes place at the Ancient theatre of Philippopol. Its ambitious and diverse program includes multiple genres and international participance. Please find below a draft program for the festival in 2018: June 9, 2018 - La Forza del Destino (Power of Destiny) / Spare date: June 10, 2018 June 23, 2018 - Edip Tzar' (King Edip) / Spare date: June 24, 2018 June 27, 2018 - The Flying Douchman / Spare date: June 28, 2017 June 30, 2018 - Ballet Show 'Swan Lake' / Spare date: July 1, 2018 July 7, 2018 - Helen of Troy / Spare date: July 8 , 2018 July 11, 2018 - Symphonic Concert July 14, 2018 - Opera Show 'Traviata' - Spare date: July 15, 2018 July 21, 2018 - Opera show 'Ottelo'/ Spare date: July 22, 2017 July 25, 2018 - Opera show 'West Side Story'/ Spare date: July 26, 2018 July 28, 2018 - Opera show 'Aida' / Spare date: July 29 , 2018 July 31, 2018 - Ballet Gala August 30, 2018 - Musicle 'Chicago' September 1, 2018 - Opera Gala / Spare date: September 2, 2018 This event is part of the program of Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019. Opera Plovdiv reserves its right to change the program.
Old Town Festival "On the Three Hills Track of Time" Location: Different locations in the Old Town. Official opening om 17th September at the Ancient Theatre. September is coming and it is time to celebrate the glory of the Old Town again. Sink with us into the dance of times, where Antiquity, Middle Ages and Revival meet youth and bloom. Modern and classical music, exhibitions, workshops, retro cars shining under the autumn sun, happy people saying the sacred "Yes" are just some of the things that are going to happen under the three hills.
“Balabanov’s House Music Days” IX International Festival 2018 Autumn edition 16 September - 7.00 pm City House of Culture “Boris Christov”| PAGANINI STRING QUARTET 17 September, 18.30 pm Balabanov’s House CABARET 23 September, 7.00 pm Roman Stadium THE FAMOUS BISTRISHKI BABI 28 September, 6.30 pm The Small Basilica 110 years of the birth of the great Bulgarian composer MARIN GOLEMINOV 9 October, 6.30 pm Balabanov’s House ANGEL STANKOV – violin ROSTISLAV YOVCHEV – piano With the special participation of ANATOLI KRASTEV – cello YASEN TEODOSIEV – horn 10 October, 6.30 pm Balabanov’s House STRING QUARTET “VECTOR” (Switzerland) 18 October, 6.30 pm PLAMENA MANGOVA PIANO RECITAL 24 October, 7.00 pm City House of Culture “Boris Christov”| MILA GEORGIEVA – violin Concertmaster of the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra ORCHESTRA OF STATE OPERA – PLOVDIV 28 October, 6.30 pm Balabanov’s House LIYA PETROVA – violin First prize winner of Carl Nielsen International Competition – 2016 ADRIEN LA MARCA /France/ – viola AURELIEN PASKAL /France/ – cello
During the bi-annual fair of crafts, the Main Shopping Street (Rayko Daskalov Str.) turns into a craft center, recreating the atmosphere of past. Over 100 craftsmen dressed in traditional clothes, demonstrate the minutest details of their works, thus presenting the cultural heritage of Bulgaria and preserving its traditions. During the crafts fair in Autumn 2018, there will take place a 'Dolls' workshop - masters from all around Bulgaria will produce dolls out of wool, various tissues, corn leaves and other. The items will be donated to children in University Hospital 'St. George'.
27 September 2018 8pm, Ancient Theatre The Show: A Tribute to ABBA An amazing spectacle under the sky in Plovdiv. Extraordinary modern sound, visual effects and some of the most favourite all time hits - Money Money Money“, „Dancing Queen“, „Mamma Mia“, „SOS“, „Waterloo“, „Knowing Me Knowing You" - is what the audience will enjoy. Tickets can be found online on www.eventim.bg
Restaurant Mundo offers fabulous mix of Bulgarian and Mediterranean cuisine. Enjoy great selection of fresh salads, delicious dishes, deserts and variety of drinks - specially selected to satisfy each connoisseurs' taste. Whether planning a business lunch, meeting with friends, Gala dinner or just would like to enjoy a glass of good wine - let us turn your occasion into triumph of the senses. The restaurant's capacity is up to 140 guests. An attractive summer garden with capacity up to 40 guests is a part of the elegant atmosphere of the restaurant.
Memory Wine & Dine is the perfect place for company parties, business meetings, birthdays, family gatherings, elegant weddings and meetings with friends. At the heart of the city we’ve created a place where you will find food prepared with care, skill and passion and be able to enjoy it among the relaxing shades and shapes of the original interior. We make daily efforts to satisfy your appetite for innovative and contemporary cuisine, but will be happy to cook your favorite home-made dish, too. To this we offer to add a few notes of jazz and soul music, breathe in the aromas of a glass of excellent wine from our exclusive wine selection and thus build up our collection of future memories together. A rich assortment of well-selected wines is available in our exclusive wine shop where you can purchase wines to take home at cost prices.
In Enotheka Bandida you can enjoy a perfect selection of Ruby and Mavrud from the Plovdiv region, combined with home-prepared traditional meals. The club offers tasting sommelier-made menus of wine and traditional dishes, free lecture about the Thracians and their wine production, as well as organizing wine tasting events for tourist groups.
Megdana is the place where you get to know the Bulgarian traditions and national folklore. You can feel the unique atmosphere with Bulgarian cuisine, fine wines and music program. Delighted with national traditions, culinary tastes and the variety of round dances, our guests from abroad spend unforgettable evenings with their Bulgarian friends. Experience this extraordinary story at the most Bulgarian restaurant Megdana.
Attractive food and wine connoisseurs from Plovdiv and around the world, Philippopolis Restaurant-Gallery & Garden, is the place in the Old Town where you can find gourmet pleasures, or stumble upon international movie stars. The exclusive seasonal menus are a fusion between national flavors and international delicacies. The impressive wine list and welcoming service in this Viennese style restaurant makes you feel as if you were transported to the glorious past of the 1930s' Europe. Richly decorated in turn-of-the century Viennese style, Tiffany flair stained glass accents, original art displayed between crystal mirrors, and soft music, are the perfect ambience for quiet and romantic dinners. Its garden perched on an Ancient Roman, with incredible view towards Kapana District - the creative hub of Plovdiv - is an ideal place to spend hot summer days or host your wedding in an extraordinary atmosphere.
Hemingway – BBQ&Grill is a place for dining, meeting people, for enjoying wine and music. The smell of delicious meals and freshly baked bread is what entices you in for a glass of wine. The food is prepared with love, the wines are specially selected there sounds some live piano music. We offer diverse lunch and dinner menus, our wine list includes a selection of classy Bulgarian and imported wines and we strive to maintain high level of service. Whether you want to grab a bite or have fun with colleagues and friends, Hemingway BBQ Bar & Grill is the place to go for dining, a glass of good wine and music.
Rahat Tepe Restaurant is located just on the foots of Nebet Hill in the Old Town and offers 100 seats indoors and 350 outdoors during the summer season. The newly-constructed indoor area is hosted within a reach from the top of the hill and the outdoor summer garden offers picturesque view in the hot summer. The restaurants offers diverse assortment of beer and traditional cuisine.
The first traditional Indian Restaurant in Plovdiv is located in the heart of the city, adjacent to Saedinenie Sq. and the Archaeological Museum. The restaurant offers a wide variety of Indian meals and drinks, the recipes for which have been passed from generation to generation. The culture and heritage of India will be delivered to your table, recreating the atmosphere of a real Indian dinner.
The fully refurbished Cocktail Bar Noris has a modern decor and light effects which you can enjoy 24 hours per day. It is located at the city center and has a big summer garden with 250 seats. Cocktail Bar Noris consistently combines luxury, cozy atmosphere and friendly service. The selection of branded drinks combined with cozy atmosphere and pleasant music will you forget the fatigue of the hard day. At evening parties a number of promotions are available.
Club Marmalad – Opening hours: 11:00 p.m. - 05:00 a.m.; Address: Bratya Pulievi Str., Kapana, Plovdiv 4000 Petnoto na Rorshach (The Spot) – Opening hours: 10:00 p.m. – 04:00 a.m.; Program: Monday: Quiz Night; Tuesday: Book presentations; Wednesday: Wednesday Stage Arts; Thursday: DJ set night; Address: 36 Yoakim Gruev Str., Kapana, Plovdiv 4000 Fabric Bar – Opening hours: 6:00 p.m. – 05:00 a.m.; Address: 31A Otets Paisiy Str., Kapana, Plovdiv 4000 No Sense – Opening hours: 6:00 p.m. – 04:00 a.m.; Address: 5 Evlogi Feorgiev Str. , Kapana, Plovdiv 4000
Located in the city's greenest area - Leisure and Culture Park, the Youth Center provides first-class conditions for organizing events - team buildings, trainings, conferences, sports events, camps and others. The complex is equiped with its own accommodation place, conference hall, sports area and a restaurant. Services provided by Touth center Plovdiv: - Dragon boats - Lessons in rowing and canoeing - Rent-a bike
The Main Street is a pedestrian area in the center of Plovdiv. It starts from Central Square at the venue of Ramada Plovdiv Trimontium hotel. Down the Main Street are Stefan Stambolov Square with the Municipality building, the Roman Stadium and Dzhumaya mosque. Near the mosque, the street loosely bounds the Old Town and The Trap (Kapana District), which is in the close proximity of the so-called Small Main Street (Rayko Daskalov Str.). Here is the Spopping Center Hali, after which the Main Street crosses 6th September Blvd. in underpass at Maritsa Pharmacy and ends at the pedestrian bridge over Maritsa River, which marks the end of the shopping area. There are a number of shops down the pedestrian area-shops for ladies, men and children fashion, cosmetics and accessories, as well as groceries, pharmacies, bookstores and many others. One can also enjoy the cafeterias, restaurants and some of the historical sites of the city, while indulging in retail therapy.
Shopping Mall Markovo Tepe covers total area of 55 000 sq. m. and is designed to ensure optimal flow of visitors and visibility of commercial sites. In the Mall one can enjoy variety of shops, as well as cafés and restaurants, gym and SPA center, get access to bank and mobile services. The cinema hall offers special concepts for ultimate cinema experience such as IMAX, LUXE, PREMIUM and VIP. All the visitors have access to a parking lot with more than 600 parking spaces, located on 4 underground levels, as well as free outdoor parking area.
Mall Plovdiv is the first modern shopping and entertainment center in Plovdiv and the region. The project is a shopping and entertainment complex including the following facilities: a supermarket, more than 110 retail units - branches of banks, mobile operators, travel agencies, a pharmacy, a bookstore, snack bars, cafes and restaurants, Cinema City multiplex with 11 cinema halls, with underground and street parking spots. The distance from the main shopping street is 2.5 km - about 10 minutes by car or a 20-minute walk from the city center.
Shopping Center Grand is located in the center of Plovdiv and spreads over a total sales area of over 27,000 square meters. The complex, which is built on six levels, includes an underground parking lot, hypermarket, shopping area, pharmacy, commercial banks and a travel agency; offices and restaurants; In the stores, items of famous Bulgarian and the world brands with guaranteed quality are being traded. Pleasant environment, stylishly arranged shops and helpful staff makes shopping in shopping center Grand a pleasure.
Shopping Center Hali is located on the Main Shopping Street. There are 130 shops inside, located on four levels. There you can find Bulgarian and foreign manufacturers of fashion, shoes, accessories, cosmetics, souvenirs and others. On the ground floor is located hypermarket Billa. There is also a cafeteria, as well as a pastry shop and a children area on the territory of the complex.
The building, which houses the shopping center, is one of the pearls of the Main Shopping Street, included in the list of the Cultural monuments with local significance. The curious thing about the building is the ruins of the Roman Stadium found on its foundations. At the moment it is a shopping center in which one can enjoy various brands, as well as cafeterias, restaurants and a summer garden.
Market Center is a modern shopping facility located in the central part of Plovdiv. Here you can discover various brands for woman, men and children wear, as well as the shop for cosmetics, domestic products, baby food and other goods DM. In Market Center you can find Chinese restaurant, Pizza, as well as a beer house (Ale House) and night club Pasha.
Cinema City Plovdiv - Mall Plovdiv (8, Perushtitsa Str., Plovdiv 4002) http://www.cinemacity.bg/en/ Eccoplexx Cinema - 6th of September Blvd., http://kinoeccoplexx.com/ Arena Cinema - Markovo Tepe Mall (54, Ruski Blvd.) https://www.kinoarena.com/en/cinema/arena-mall-markovo-tepe Lucky Cinema - 1, Gladston Str., http://boxoffice.bg/venue/LUCKY+%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%BC+%D0%BD%D0%B0+%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE/23/ Faces Cinema - Forum of Trakia (21, Saedinenie Str., Trakia District), http://www.kinofaces.com/
Swimming Pool SPS (SPS Hotel) 3, Osvobozhdenie Blvd, Plovdiv 4000 Contact: [email protected] Swimming Complex Neptune 1A, Nicola Vaptsarov Blvd., Plovdiv 4000 Contact: +359 87 878 7748 Spa Center Grand Hotel Plovdiv 2, Zlatyu Boyadziev Str. Contact: +359 32 934 343 Spa Center Princess An outdoor and an indoor swimming pools 2, Kapitan Raycho Str., Plovdiv 4000 - Ramada Plovdiv Trimotium Hotel Contact: [email protected] Aqua Park Sankt Peterburg 97, Bulgaria Blvd., Plovdiv 4000 - Sankt Peterburg Hotel Contact: +359 32 904 276 Aqualand 3, Teofan Raynov, Trakia District, Plovdiv Contact: +359 883 70 20 60 Complex Ostrova 40, Park Otdih i Kultura Str., Plovdiv, Rowing Canal Contact: [email protected] Aquateka Fregata Cocktail Bar Pazardhzishko Shose Blvd., 9th Kilometer Complex Contact: +359 32 632 992
International Plovdiv Airport is located next to the village of Krumovo, 15 km away from the city center (about 20 min by car). The airport is served by the low-cost flight company Ryanair, providing direct flights to London Stansted Airport and Frankfurt Haan. Seasonal flights served by various companies also take place. Plovdiv International Airport is easily accessible by car and taxi. It is also served by public shared shuttles and private cat transfers.
Bus Station 'Yug' (South) 47, Hristo Botev Blvd. Central office: +359 32 626 937 Buses to Sofia, Varna, Hisarya, Karlovo, Asenovgrad, Bansko, Batak, Brestovitsa, Perushtitsa, Velingrad, Svilengrad,Sliven, Borovets and others. International buses to destinations in Eastern and Central Europe. Bus Station 'Sever' (North) 2, Dimitar Stambolov Str. Office: +359 32 953 705 Services to 40 destinations north of the city, including Veliko Tarnovo, Kazanlak, Starosel, Burgas, Southern seaside (seasonal) and many others. Bis Station 'Rodopi' Services to 38 destinations and mountain towns, including Bachkovo and Bachkovo Monastery, Smolyan and others.
The bus network in Plovdiv covers the whole city, as well as the suburbs. There are public shuttles, as well, which are operating as shared taxis. The price of the ticket in the public transport is 1BGN. Tickets can be purchased by the inspector in the bus and by the drivers in the shuttle.
All the taxis in Bulgaria are yellow in color. You can stop a taxi, as well as a public shuttle, anywhere by waving your hand. There are also specifically designed taxi ranks on big boulevards. The normal price of a ride from the airport to the city center is 10-15 BGN; from the city center to the surrounding neighborhoods is no more that 5-7 BGN. All of the taxis have their rates per km on the passenger door.
Plovdiv is a bicycle-friendly city. The newly-built cycling trail network covers the whole city center, main bouleverds, riverbank, as well as the area around the Rowing Canal. One can easily rent a bike and explore the modern sites of the city. The cycling trail network is 48-kilometer long and linked with the biggest parking areas in the city.
Plovdiv's Blue area covers most of the streets in the city center, as well as Kapitan Raycho Str., Knyaginya Maria Luiza Blvd., Bulgaria Blvd., as well as some of the streets between Bulgaria Blvd. and River Maritsa. The streets which are part of the Blue area are mandatorily market with a sign in their beginning. One is able to park their vehicle for no more than 4 hours, the price per hour being 1,50 BGN. One can pay to the Blue area officers or via text message from Bulgarian mobile number. Self-service parking-meters are located on Otets Paisiy Str. and Knyaginya Mariya Luiza Blvd.
There are 3 mobile network operators in Bulgaria providing 2G and 3G coverage to almost the entire country – M-tel, Telenor and Vivacom. In the big cities there is free WiFi network mainly in the cafeterias, restaurants, hotels, big shopping centers, railway- and bus stations. The Post Offices also provide oportunities for making domestic and international calls. National Telephone Code: 00359; +359 Plovdiv area code: 032; 00359 32 Emergency number (Police, Ambulance and Fire Brigade): 112